Staying at home during the COVID-19 quarantine has led to an increased use of digital devices and screen time for both work and recreation, and may lead to an increase in eye strain or other ocular complications.
According to our eye doctors in Chesapeake, staring at digital devices can lead to many things, including:
- digital eye strain
- dry eyes
- eye irritation (burning and stinging)
- blurred vision
- sleep problems
- neck and shoulder pain
Following are some healthy tips from the Vision Impact Institute and the Cooper Institute collaborated to incorporate into a family’s day:
- Take a break from digital devices and computers by following the 20/20/20 rule of looking away from the screen every 20 minutes and focusing on an object at least 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Ensure the child maintains an appropriate distance from the screen, using the 1/2/10 rule — mobile phones ideally 1 foot, desktop devices and laptops at 2 feet, and TV screens at roughly 10 feet depending on the size of the screen.
- Designate a “sleep time” for screens, with most experts recommending between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m.
- Encourage movement, physical activity and time spent outdoors within the bounds of quarantine recommendations.
- Create a family media plan, including the adults regulating time spent using digital devices.
If you have any questions, or to schedule an eye appointment, please contact us at (757) 966-2206 or click here.
ABOUT OUR EYE CARE CLINIC
Since 2010, our eye doctors have provided families in Virginia Beach, Norfolk and Chesapeake with the best eye care possible. Our eye clinic is rooted in the philosophy of good old fashioned honesty and customer service – and our patients appreciate that. Our eye doctors and staff can provide a comprehensive eye examination, vision therapy, eye exams, glasses, contacts, co-management of surgical patients, and more.