Eye doctors and eye care for Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and Chesapeake
May is the National Eye Institute’s ‘Healthy Vision Month’
By Gontarek Eye Care – 5/15/15
May is the National Eye Institute’s “Healthy Vision Month” and Gontarek Eye Care is participating by encouraging our patients and their families and friends in Norfolk, Virginia Beach and Chesapeake to make eye health a priority. Here’s how from our colleagues at the National Eye Institute:
• Have regular, comprehensive dilated eye examinations. Determining an eye glass prescription is NOT an eye exam. In a true, complete eye exam, the eye doctor evaluates more than just your focusing abilities. The optometrist is also giving your eyes a physical. This sort of checkup is vital in maintaining healthy eyes and good vision.
• Know your family history. If a family member has an eye disease or condition, you are also at risk for the condition. Your letting us know of any family history helps us take better care of you.
• Wear sunglasses. UV protection will reduce the risk of cataracts, macular degeneration, and cancers of the eye and eyelids.
• Use protective eyewear.
• Every day about 2,000 workers in Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake and throughout the U.S. have a job-related eye injury that requires medical treatment.
• Every 13 minutes, an ER in the U.S. treats a sports-related eye injury.
• Chores around the house and yard also involve risk for injury. Wear the right eyewear to prevent injury and vision loss.
• Live a healthy lifestyle. Maintaining a healthy weight, eating healthy foods, not smoking, and managing chronic health conditions will help make a positive impact on your eye health.
If you have any questions about your eye health, please contact us at (757) 966-2206 or by clicking here.
About our eye doctors and eye care clinic
Since 2010, our eye doctors have provided families in Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and Chesapeake with the best eye care possible. Our eye clinic is rooted in the philosophy of good old fashioned honesty and customer service – and our patients appreciate that. Our optometrists and staff provide everything from routine vision care like eye exams and new glasses to co-managing surgical patients.